Re: ODBC Driver stability

From: Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>
To: md-postgres-donath(at)netapps(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org,Postgresql OLE DB development <oledb-dev(at)gborg(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ODBC Driver stability
Date: 2004-11-16 17:28:24
Lists: pgsql-odbc
md-postgres-donath(at)netapps(dot)de wrote:

>Hello Shachar,
>
>oh ... good news ... i didn't know that the ole db driver has been released.
>i will check the ole db driver, thank you for the information !

It has not been "officially" released yet, but version 1.0.0.15 made a
major move in that direction. It has purged itself from ugly debug
asserts and message boxes. In addition to that, it is being actively
maintained, and so I'm hoping for a proper release soon.

>what do you mean with "OLE ... prevents threading problems the hard way" ?

OLE (well, DCOM really) allows a threading solution for the lazy (for
the time being, that's us). The server runs (by default) in a single
thread, and all other threads use a proxy to call it. Right now we are
too focused on getting this version functionally complete to start
worrying about this. As OLE DB is generally a faster concept anyways,
I'm hoping this won't be too much of a problem.

Work on getting multi threading into the provider cannot start until I
understand libpq's thread safety.

          Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh