Re: ODBC Driver stability

From: Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>
To: Markus Donath <donath(at)netapps(dot)de>
Cc: Gary Doades <gpd(at)gpdnet(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC Driver stability
Date: 2004-11-16 13:42:42
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Markus Donath wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Our conclusion is that Postgres is not usable with ODBC on windows, and no
>stable driver will be available soon.

Have you tried other options? There are both a .NET driver and an OleDB
provider, though can only attest to the second.

OLE DB is nearing the point where it should be quite usable for server
use. The .NET provider has been around even longer, so may be even
better. In any case, the OLE infrastructure prevents threading problems
(the hard way, unfortunately), and PgOleDb uses libpq for actual
database communication.

> We are going to switch a different
>database. To bad, as the database itself runs fast and stable.
>
>bye bye postgres !

Sad to see you go.

          Shachar

--