Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Alternate PostgreSQL.org Design

From: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>,Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Omar Kilani <omar(at)tinysofa(dot)org>,pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Alternate PostgreSQL.org Design
Date: 2004-11-13 07:55:24
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-www
Hi,

Gavin M. Roy wrote:
>> Have you checked the todo list? Those are the things we need to do in
>> the short term if you can contribute.
>>
> Nope, I'm sure it's my fault, but I don't know where that is, and if
> it's in cvs, how to get at it.  Alexey posted a tarball of his source,
> but after my last contribution via email to the current  Lucaz design
> went completely unnoticed and didnt even receive a no-thanks, we'd
> rather keep it the way it is, I'm a bit out of the loop on what it takes
> to actually get something done.

The project is on gborg: http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgweb/projdisplay.php

What contribution exactly are you talking about? I only remember receiving XHTML
patches from you recently. These were all applied.

> Add to that lack of documention to
> coding standards, and Alexey's clear stance on such things, and not
> wanted to step on Alexey's toes to get it anything done.... well here I am.

What documentation exactly do you want? There is a README on setting up a copy
of the website in CVS / tarball. I can write more docs certainly, but bear in
mind that I am not a native English speaker so they may be unclear --- please
ask in such case.

> I understand your point here, and don't disagree.  I can only state that
> in the past I've seen many offers to help, and if it's not in line with
> "Finish Alexey's code" it's shot down *right away*.

That's not "Alexey's" code: it was started by Andreas ~1 year ago. While the
current version is rewritten quite a bit, still I was continuing the work of
someone else. What's so hard in doing the same?

> There are many ways
> for people to do things, and for example, when the tinysofa ppl came up
> with a new design, the "official" response was basicly for them to get
> lost.  Too little too late.  Unless something is overly complex and
> wrong with Alexey's code, applying a different theme should be fairly
> easy and could take less than a day.

Yes, there is nothing difficult in applying the new design and yes, it will take
less than a day. But I'd like to repeat what I said in private email to Omar: I
am not interested in doing this myself. If someone else will do this --- fine
with me. But I do not want to waste my time, 'cause I am not sure that a new
person with a better design will not surface in a week's time.

> Point me to the todo list and put up with my questions about how to get
> stuff put in approved, working, etc and hopefully I can contribute.
> Ultimately I would prefer to see the tinysofa design instead of Lucaz's,
> sorry Lucaz...

http://wwwdevel.postgresql.org/todo

If you like the new design so much, you can setup a copy of the current website
(as outlined in the README) and try applying the new design to it. Then you can
show everyone that it works and send in a patch.