Alternate PostgreSQL.org Design

From: Omar Kilani <omar(at)tinysofa(dot)org>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Alternate PostgreSQL.org Design
Date: 2004-11-12 02:38:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-www
Hi Again,

We would like to put forward an alternate design to the current wwwdevel
design.

It is available at: http://postgresql.tinysofa.com/

We believe that it is clean, professional and simple. And it makes the
release of 8.0 actually... exciting. :)

It is a *drop-in* replacement for the current pgweb design. No
additional work is required to retrofit the current wwwdevel design.
It's already done!

It validates. It is designed for 800x600 and up. And it looks pretty. :)

By clicking "About", you can see the design for the section navigation
and the sponsor box.

We've gone through a bit of the current content and fixed it up with
proper headings and so forth. But we believe that the content needs to
be restructured to fit within navigational guide lines.

Some issues with the current content of the site:

* There really isn't much there. A lot of the content is obviously
written by separate people with different writing styles. The content
also presumes that the reader has a lot of technical knowledge.

* Many links just point to external websites without warning. The
content should be pulled into the main site, or put under an "External
Sources" heading.

* The overuse of subdomains is a major pain. Each subdomain uses a
completely different layout and design. X.postgresql.org should be under
the relevant section on the main site. Advocacy should move under
/about/. Developers has it's own section. Tech docs should move under
Documentation, etc.

Of course, we're willing to help out with the content if our design is
used. :)

Regards,
Emily Boyd
  - and -