Re: pgAdmin III v1.2 RC?

From: Gary Doades <gpd(at)gpdnet(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Pgadmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin III v1.2 RC?
Date: 2004-11-10 19:22:21
Lists: pgadmin-support
Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Diego A. Gil wrote:
>
>> Andreas:
>>
>> Can't we get a estimated column size from column metadata ?.
>

> Not too helpful in many cases I'm afraid. The text type is widely used....

What many other client tools of this type have is a "max column display
size" setting. Often with a default of something like 30 chars. If the
column size is less than this then use the column size otherwise use the
maximum. This seems to work well for most data and would still be
reasonable for text columns.

Cheers,
Gary.