Re: PostgreSQL in the press again

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Cc: PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL in the press again
Date: 2004-11-10 19:03:10
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
> I have two, inconsistent responses to this line.
>
> 1.	Free software just _isn't_ commercial software.

I don't agree with this. Free software is an ideology and has nothing
to do with wether or not it is commercial. You can have commercial
Free Software. Red Hat is commercial Free Software as is SuSE or JBoss.

Commerical:
    Of or relating to Commerce.

It has nothing to do with wether or not their is a fix product cost or
not. With free software, the product cost is wrapped into the support
and services.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

  Companies
> that are going to approach free software like commercial software are
> going to fail in their use of it.  (In my opinion, most cases of
> using commercial software according to the commercial
> license-and-support model are _also_ failures, but I'll spare y'all
> that rant today.)  You simply need to understand how the community
> works if you're going to get any sort of reasonable experience with
> Postgres, or *BSD, or Linux, or even gnumeric.  If you expect the
> sort of experience you have when running Windows or Oracle, then
> you're doomed.  This is an advantage, but also a disadvantage.  That
> I can ask the developer who wrote a bit of code why it works the way
> it does is great, but it also imposes on me a requirement that I have
> something approaching a clue when I ask, lest I get a pretty frosty
> reception.  The point of customer service in a tech company is, after
> all, not only to avoid giving the customer the frosty reception, but
> also to protect the actual techies from endless series of
> didn't-read-the-fine-manual questions.
>
> 2.	If it's that important, then there's money to be made in the
> ISV role, and someone should (continue to -- some people already are)
> do it.

Command Prompt, Inc., home of PostgreSQL Replication, and plPHP.