Re: Lab System using PostgreSQL

From: Shridhar Daithankar <ghodechhap(at)ghodechhap(dot)net>
To: Anton de Wet <adw(at)obsidian(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Lab System using PostgreSQL
Date: 2004-11-10 10:19:47
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Anton de Wet wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Hey, would you have time to track down the consulting company who did
>> this?
>> Currently we have NO active advocacy people in ZA, and it's sort of a big
>> hole in our global domination plan.
> Slowly there! I may not be very vocal but I'm here!

:-)

> Obsidian Systems is an Open Source focused company doing lots of Linux
> related support, training and a little bit of development. In Feb we'll
> be 10 years old. I've been using PostgreSQL since Postgres95 1.0 and
> I've made sure if any client looks at a database they know postgresql is
> an option. All our internal systems run on postgresql.
>
> We've had some contact with TSI, they're quite a large consulting house
> and was first exposed to OSS back in the late 90s when they bought one
> of our early clients.

Good to know that.

> I've passed the link to one of our sales guys that is looking for some
> nice reference implementations for a client that is interested in
> getting a call centre running with a combination of postgresql and
> asterisk.
> (BTW, does anyone know of anything like that?)

OK. Advocacy drill. We would be looking for a case study from TSI. Robert
Bernier(I think spelling is correct) looks into case studies and can provide you
the questions/templates. Typically these cover
  - the mission criticality of the system
  - postgresql specific advantages
  - competition postgresql sustained
  - System administration headaches/lack of headaches etc

Basically how postgresql provides business value. Case studies are to make life
simpler for decision makers. Wider application domain also are very helpful. I
think this is first time I heard postgresql in QA/QC labs.

and I suggest you get a za(at)postgresql(dot)org address, if you don't have one
already..:-)

  Shridhar