Some beta4 installation problems.

From: Benoit Vairelles <b(dot)vairelles(at)albourne(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Some beta4 installation problems.
Date: 2004-11-10 07:19:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
Hi,

I had a few problems when installing beta4 and you might be able to
bring some light into it.
I first tryed to install Postgres as a service on windows XP (fully
patched) but had to cancel the installation due to errors. I then
installed Postgresql as a program (actually this suit me better then a
service).

I run under a restricted user account and I could not install using this
account due to not having the right to save a dll into the windows
directory. I then installed using an administrator account and that went
well - I just had to change the access rights to allow my normal user
account to read and write in the postgresql directories.

The last issue I met was with the start database script, it fails and
gives the error message:

 >pg_ctl.exe start -D "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0.0-beta4\data\"
postmaster starting
postmaster: invalid argument: "<" Try "postmaster --help" for more
information.

But I can start postgresql by running:
postmaster.exe  -D "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0.0-beta4\data\"

Otherwise this is looking very good. I just have to find a free C
compiler under Windows to compile my functions.

Thanks,
Benoit

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date