Re: PostgreSQL in the press again

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL in the press again
Date: 2004-11-09 20:24:28
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>

>> ... does that help?
>>
> Ok, so to abbreviate what you and Josh writes into what I had in mind
> (??? denotes my own lack of further knowledge):
>
> Master + read-only slaves:
> - Slony-I when all sites are trusted
> - dbMirror for untrusted slaves and/or table based master slave assignment
> - Mammoth Replicator, proprietary ???
proprietary, transaction safe and simple to
administer.

OR

propreitary, transaction log based.

The are really only four significant differences between Slony and
Mammoth Replicator:

1. Slony is trigger based, Mammoth is transaction log based
2. Slony is batch replication (Jan what do you call this?), Mammoth is
transaction based.
3. Slony requires modification to your database schema, Mammoth does not
(outside of the mutual requirement of a unique key (Mammoth requires a
primary key).
4. Slony is Open Source, Mammoth is not.

Both support:

1. 1 master, multiple slaves
2. failover, promotion capabilities
3. Neither lock the database during a full sync
4. Both are transaction safe

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Command Prompt, Inc., home of PostgreSQL Replication, and plPHP.

Attachment Content-Type Size
jd.vcf text/x-vcard 640 bytes