Re: Replication Options.

From: Pallav Kalva <pkalva(at)deg(dot)cc>
To: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Replication Options.
Date: 2004-11-09 14:37:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

Chris Browne wrote:

>pkalva(at)deg(dot)cc (Pallav Kalva) writes:
>

>> I need to implement the following the replication scenario in
>>postgres database. Here are the details of what we are looking to
>>implement.
>>
>>Lets say I have 2 nodes Node1(US) and Node2(Canada),
>>
>>Node1: tableA , tableB
>>Node2: tableB , tableA
>>
>>tableA in Node1 is the master and it should replicate only to slave
>>tableA in Node2
>>
>>tableB in Node2 is the master and it should replicate only to slave
>>tableB in Node1
>>
>>Can this be possible with any of the replication models available for
>>Postgres 7.4/8.0 ?
>>

>This scenario would be supported by Slony-I; there are several ways to
>accomplish it, probably the easiest being thus...
>
>- Create two nodes, 1 and 2
>
>- Create two replication sets - #1 and #2.
>
> - Set 1 has origin of node 1
> - Set 2 has origin of node 2
>
> - Add tablea to set 1
> - Add tableb to set 2
>
> - Subscribe node 2 to set 1
> - Subscribe node 1 to set 2
>
>Either node can run PG 7.4 or 8.0...

Hi Chris,

Based on your suggestion I tried to setup replication for my
envrionment and I ran into problems. To start of with initially, I tried
to replicate on the same host with one master database and one slave
database, I used the same expample as in docs for Slony replication and
it went fine and I could replicate the changes and I could see them at
the slave database immediately.
Then I tried to do the above setup where tableA is the master in one
node and tableB is the master in another node (in this case I used the
same host) and they have to replicate each other. I created 2 sets in
the initial configuration script and added tables to each sets , when i
run the script i get the following error :

<stdin>:44: PGRES_FATAL_ERROR select "_slony_example".storeSet(2, 'All
testslave tables'); - ERROR: schema "_slony_example" does not exist

I am attaching the script and also the environment variables i used
for the script. am I missing something in setup configuration or this
type of configuration is not possible with Slony.

Thanks! again.
Pallav

Attachment Content-Type Size
slony_setup_scenario2.sh application/x-sh 2.3 KB
slony_env_variables text/plain 197 bytes