Re: [Fwd: PostgreSQL 8.0.0-beta4 Windows 2000

From: Reini Urban <rurban(at)x-ray(dot)at>
To: PostgreSQL Win32 port list <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: PostgreSQL 8.0.0-beta4 Windows 2000
Date: 2004-11-08 05:43:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
Bruce Momjian schrieb:
> Magnus is working on something that will print a better failure message
> when the virus protection blocks PostgreSQL.

Ah, good.
Note that cygwin setup.exe blocks McAfee Shield "AvSynMgr" also to be
able to download our packages after an UI dialog.
I don't know yet if just changing some settings might help.
Blocking is kinda unfriendly but the only solution.

That's the detection routine: (from our setup AntiVirus.cc)

     SCM = OpenSCManager (NULL, NULL, SC_MANAGER_ALL_ACCESS);
     McAfeeService = OpenService (SCM, "AvSynMgr",
	SERVICE_QUERY_STATUS| SERVICE_STOP| SERVICE_START);

     if (!McAfeeService) {
	log (LOG_PLAIN, String("Could not open service McShield for query,
start and stop. McAfee may not be installed, or we don't have access.\n"));
	CloseServiceHandle(SCM);
	return;
     }
     SERVICE_STATUS status;
     if (!QueryServiceStatus (McAfeeService, &status))
       {
	CloseServiceHandle(SCM);
	CloseServiceHandle(McAfeeService);
	log (LOG_PLAIN, String("Couldn't determine status of McAfee service.\n"));
	return;
       }
       if (status.dwCurrentState == SERVICE_STOPPED ||
	status.dwCurrentState == SERVICE_STOP_PENDING)
       {
	CloseServiceHandle(SCM);
	CloseServiceHandle(McAfeeService);
	log (LOG_PLAIN, "Mcafee is already stopped, nothing to see here\n");
       }

... and so on