Re: array_to_column function

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Markus Bertheau <twanger(at)bluetwanger(dot)de>,PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: array_to_column function
Date: 2004-10-31 21:51:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers
David Fetter wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 11:55:48PM +0200, Markus Bertheau wrote:
>>>CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION array_to_column (ANYARRAY)
>>
>>You want to see that function distributed with PostgreSQL?  It would
>>probably have to be implemented in C then, because PL/pgSQL-support
>>has to be explicitly "enabled" for every database.
>
> Yes, that would be good.  It would be nice to have some symmetry with
> the ARRAY() function.  Also, it would be a handy thing for doing
> column-like operations (aggregates, e.g.) on 1-D arrays :)

This has actually been discussed and rejected nearly two years ago --
see this thread:
   http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-12/msg00453.php

Later, Peter Eisentraut pointed out that there is actually a
spec-compliant way (UNNEST) to achieve the same result -- see this thread:
   http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2003-06/msg01167.php

I have the beginnings (at least) of a C function to do this somewhere,
but have obviously not been able to find the time to implement it (yet).
If you want to pursue this functionality for 8.1, UNNEST support is the
way to go.

Joe