Re: Problems with protocol V3 after migration to latest driver

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Alexey Yudichev <Alexey(at)francoudi(dot)com>
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with protocol V3 after migration to latest driver
Date: 2004-10-25 10:35:31
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Alexey Yudichev wrote:
>>Also, any thoughts on making the LO vs. bytea behaviour a separate
>>option, rather than lumping it in with 7.1 compatibility? It seems quite
>>possible that you might want to use LOs for get/setBytes() but use the
>>most up to date driver behaviour elsewhere.
>

> Are there any other changes in driver behaviour triggered by compatibility=7.1 other than LO-related ones? If yes, that would be a good idea to separate them from LO changes, because LOs are the only reason I use compatibility=7.1 parameter.

Currently, the only thing affected by the compatible parameter is the
LO-vs-bytea issue. But there could be behavioural changes in the future
that could be controlled by that same parameter.. as I understand it,
it's there to support existing applications during the transition period
after some sort of behavioural change in the driver, not to support two
different behaviours indefinitely.

-O