'<IDLE> in transaction' problem in mod_perl/DBI/DBD-Pg environment.

From: Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: '<IDLE> in transaction' problem in mod_perl/DBI/DBD-Pg environment.
Date: 2004-10-25 05:37:50
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi,

We run our webserver using mod_perl and perl/DBI/DBD-Pg .
I have observed that most of the pg backends that block other queries
are in '<IDLE> in transaction' state.  Usually sending a -INT or -TERM
to such blocking backends solve the problem.

My question is

1. Are there some precuation to be taken in perl/DBI programming
    in mod_perl environment to avoid backends getting into '<IDLE> in
transaction'
    mode?

2. Is it advisable/safe to run a daemon that TERMs such blocking backend
    at regular interval.

3. Most Importantly , If a do not have access to to the host is it
possible to
    TERMinate such backeds from  psql>

Regds
Mallah.

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Rajesh Kumar MallahDate: 2004-10-25 05:54:44