RPM vs. Compile benefits?

From: Doug Y <dylists(at)ptd(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RPM vs. Compile benefits?
Date: 2004-10-22 15:04:04
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hello,
  I'm curious if I would see any specific benefit from compiling
Postgres from scratch vs. using an RPM supplied by the distribution?
We're currently using 7.4.2 from an RPM on SuSE 9.0 Pro. I'd guess RPMs
are usually configured with the least common denominator in mind. All
the software is stock on the system from SuSE. I'd guess I might see
some overall system performance by a custom kernel compile (currently
2.6.4-52-smp), but thats not directly Postgres related. Hardware is dual
Intel P3-1Ghz / 4G Ram / raid 0 if that makes any difference.

Also, any significant reason to upgrade to 7.4.5? Obviously if compiling
would be a boost, I'd also upgrade at the same time, but only unless I
had a meaningful reason to compile in the first place. I've heard 7.4.2
has some problems with index bloat? How would that manifest itself?

Thanks!

pgsql-admin by date