Re: create index with substr function

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ray <ray_siu(at)ge-ts(dot)com(dot)hk>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: create index with substr function
Date: 2004-10-21 06:13:32
Lists: pgsql-performance

Tom Lane wrote:

>"Ray" <ray_siu(at)ge-ts(dot)com(dot)hk> writes:
>

>>CREATE INDEX idx_doc_substr_doc_urn ON doc USING btree (SUBSTR(doc_urn,10));
>>ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "10" at character 68
>>

>This will work in 7.4, but not older releases.

Can't you just use a SQL function that calls the substr function? I have
done that with date functions before
like:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION get_month(text) returns double precision AS '
SELECT date_part('month',$1);
' LANGUAGE 'SQL' IMMUTABLE;

CREATE INDEX get_month_idx on foo(get_month(date_field));

Or in this case:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION sub_text(text) returns text AS '
SELECT SUBSTR($1,10) from foo;
' LANGUAGE 'SQL' IMMUTABLE;

CREATE INDEX sub_text_idx ON foo(sub_text(doc_urn));

This works on 7.3.6???

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake