Re: futex results with dbt-3

From: Manfred Spraul <manfred(at)colorfullife(dot)com>
To: Mark Wong <markw(at)osdl(dot)org>
Cc: neilc(at)samurai(dot)com, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: futex results with dbt-3
Date: 2004-10-20 17:14:46
Lists: pgsql-performance
Mark Wong wrote:

>I've heard that simply linking to the pthreads libraries, regardless of
>whether you're using them or not creates a significant overhead.  Has
>anyone tried it for kicks?
That depends on the OS and the functions that are used. The typical
worst case is buffered IO of single characters: The single threaded
implementation is just copy and update buffer status, the multi threaded
implementation contains full locking.

For most other functions there is no difference at all.