Re: data copy script

From: Ron St-Pierre <rstpierre(at)syscor(dot)com>
To: KeithW(at)narrowpathinc(dot)com,pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: data copy script
Date: 2004-10-12 20:21:30
Lists: pgsql-novice
Keith Worthington wrote:

>Hi All,
>I need to write a shell script that can be run by cron to automatically load
>data into a PostgreSQL database.  I have been experimenting with the copy
>command in psql and I have a few questions.
>How can I run a copy command from a script?
You can either run the command directly from postgres' cron:
   0       22      *       *       *       /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pgsql -p
5432 -d imperial -c" COPY dataTable FROM 'fileName' WITH NULL AS '';"
or place the script inside of a file and have cron call it using
something like:
   0       22      *       *       *       sh