psql slow disconnect via ssl

From: "Mike Morris" <mike(at)musicplace(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: psql slow disconnect via ssl
Date: 2004-09-30 06:34:16
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm a newbie, and couldn't find this in the archives... although I see that
disabling SSL is new to 7.4.

I'm using psql to attach to 7.4.2 across a DSL connection. This always
results in a long delay (just over 60 seconds) either when connecting
(nossl) or disconnecting (ssl).

If my pg_hba.conf allows only nossl clients, then the connection attempt
goes like this:
* Server immediately posts "No pg_hba.conf entry... SSL on"
* Client waits about 60 seconds, presumably timing out it's ssl
negotiation attempt?
* then connects without ssl

If pg_hba.conf is allowing only ssl connections, then the connect
happens immediately, but there's a 60 second pause between \q and
return to the prompt.

Is this my misconfiguration problem, or a known issue? (I'm too newbie
to have actually discovered a bug :-)

TIA,

MikeM