CC'ing to -advocacy.
Any Australian Devs interested?
Call for Participation
Sixth Australian Open Source Symposium
The sixth Australian Open Source Symposium (AOSS 6) will be held in
Thursday October 28th, 2004.
AOSS is an annual one day symposium, run by OSS (Open Source Software)
developers, for OSS developers. Of course, non-developers are welcome
encouraged to attend.
Previous AOSS events were held in Melbourne (1999), Adelaide (2000),
Canberra (2001), Sydney (2002) and Brisbane (2003).
This year's event will be held at the OpenSource WA demonstration
Technology Park, Bentley.
The goals of AOSS6 are
· to promote the sharing of information and experience
relating to OSS
· to give the OSS community a place to interact
· to nurture and harness synergies between OSS projects
· to raise the awareness and credibility of OSS within the
broader ICT community
AOSS generally involves short (30 minute) presentation by developers of
· existing OSS projects
· work in progress
· cool technical stuff
AOSS will involve sessions with specific themes, including
· open source platforms
- operating systems (Linux, BSD, etc)
- web infrastructure (Apache, Squid, etc)
- desktops (Gnome, KDE, etc)
· open source applications
- web applications (browsers, content management, etc)
- office systems (e.g. OpenOffice.org)
- collaborative applications
· open source languages
- Lua, Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby, Tcl
This year, we are encouraging a non-technical session as well -
covering issues such as:
· legal considerations
· strategies for effective OSS uptake
The 2004 Australian Open Source awards will be presented during the
conference. The awards encourage and recognise excellence, dedication
contribution of Australians working in the open source arena.
Please send abstracts (around 100 words) or expressions of interest by
of business on Tuesday 28th September, 2004. A formal paper is
but consideration will be given to presentations without a paper if of
sufficient quality or interest.
PRESENTERS WILL RECEIVE FREE REGISTRATION
Please e-mail submissions to aoss at auug.org.au
AOSS 6 is presented by AUUG Inc, with the support of SLPWA Society of
Professionals (Western Australia) Inc and OpenSource WA.
AUUG website: http://www.auug.org.au
AUUG Phone: 1 800 625 655
SLPWA website: http://www.slpwa.asn.au
OpenSource WA: http://www.opensource.wa.gov.au
PDF Copy of the AOSS6 Call for Participation can be found at:
About AUUG Inc
AUUG: The Organisation for Unix, Linux and Open Source Professionals
AUUG's role is building a community by connecting, supporting and
promoting people with an interest in interoperable computing - which
we see as a key to achieving fitness for purpose and value for money
in Information and Communication Technology.
Our members are professionals who care about
· Unix operating systems from proprietary vendors
· Linux, BSD and other Open Source operating systems
· Open standards, specifically those which enable the free
and unrestricted interchange of information
· Open Source applications, regardless of the platform they run
· other cool technical stuff
Postgrads mailing list
---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org
pgsql-advocacy by date
|Next:||From: Greg Sabino Mullane||Date: 2004-09-28 11:20:11|
|Subject: Re: Press release, hopefully final draft this time|
|Previous:||From: Josh Berkus||Date: 2004-09-27 21:51:00|
|Subject: Press release, hopefully final draft this time|