Re: basic questions with odbc and visual basic.

From: "Greg Campbell" <greg(dot)campbell(at)us(dot)michelin(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: basic questions with odbc and visual basic.
Date: 2004-09-27 20:10:46
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Ahh, I see now.
Well for reports, which are pretty much read-only as far as data
concerned you have lots of freedom.

For manipulating the data -- Access works pretty good as long as Access
can know which record(s) to update (primary keys or OIDs -- that sort of
thing).

Merlin Moncure wrote:

>>I too almost never use data-aware controls. I use ADO to get the data.

>>use code to populate a grid.
>>When a chnange event is fired, I use code to update the row in
>>

>question.
>

>>Why all the work?
>>
>>Data aware controls tend to be heavy -- they don't know how users are
>>going to use them -- so the code in them is not lean or application
>>specific. They do code "under the covers" for lowest common
>>

>denominator
>

>>in an MS presumed world. So if you are not using Access or SQLServer--
>>they tend to act funny -- in fact I found they act funny when you use
>>

>MS
>

>>products. Some people use them with great success -- more RAD power

>>them. I am old school and follow the axioms of transaction between
>>client and server being resource expensive. I tend to code to get just
>>the fields and records I need -- and update just the records I want. I
>>try not to hold open a whole multi-row recordset, because I want to
>>update 1 row.
>>

>>With luck someone else on the mailing list has advice for optimizing
>>with data-aware controls.
>>

>Right. I agree 100%...I think RAD tools make great screen designers and
>get you into trouble if you take them beyond that. In fact, I would
>never even be looking at VB except I have to train a couple of VB
>jockeys from another company on how to access our system so they can
>make simple forms and run reports.
>
>My initial thought was to build views on the server encapsulating the
>more complex aspects of the database design for the vb guys to read and
>write from. I had hoped that it would be relatively easy to bind these
>views to various Microsoft stuff...and it is, but in a slightly more
>code intensive way than I had expected. I may try giving the ole db
>driver a shot and see if it provides better results.
>
>Merlin

>TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your
> joining column's datatypes do not match

Attachment Content-Type Size
greg.campbell.vcf text/x-vcard 283 bytes