Re: 7.4.5 losing committed transactions

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.4.5 losing committed transactions
Date: 2004-09-25 01:32:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 9/24/2004 6:37 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Can you still reproduce the problem if you take out the ereport call
> in quickdie()?

Will check ...

> BTW, what led you to develop this test setup ... had you already seen
> something that made you suspect a data loss problem?

Good guess ... what actually happenend was that after a couple of these
getaddrinfo() SIGSEGV's on AIX, one of our Slony-replica was out of
sync. Long story short, it all didn't make sense.

Now the scary thing is that not only did this crash rollback a committed
transaction. Another session had enough time in between to receive a
NOTIFY and select the data that got rolled back later.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #