Re: How do I disable: Adding missing FROM-clause

From: Sebastian Böck <sebastianboeck(at)freenet(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: terry(at)ashtonwoodshomes(dot)com, "Postgres (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How do I disable: Adding missing FROM-clause
Date: 2004-09-24 08:41:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> <terry(at)ashtonwoodshomes(dot)com> writes:
>
>>I searched and found references to changing the postgresql.conf with:
>>add_missing_from = false
>

> This is correct.

Just a suggestion about this:

how about implementing more options like
off/false, cross (join), natural (join)

Thought about this when reading
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostgreSQL

This site says:
| A typical search might look like this:
|
| SELECT u.* FROM user u, address a WHERE a.city='New York'
| AND a.user_name=u.user_name
|
| PostgreSQL can explicitly define the relationship between users
| and addresses. Once defined, the address becomes a property of
| the user, so the search can be greatly simplified to:
|
| SELECT * FROM user WHERE address.city='New York'

This example isn't working for me "as it is".
What relationships have to be defined and how?
Normal foreign keys aren't working.

Can anybody tell me how to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance

Sebastian