Repost: Patch: view data for tables/views on double click

From: Ivan Nejgebauer <ian-pgahack(at)uns(dot)ns(dot)ac(dot)yu>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Repost: Patch: view data for tables/views on double click
Date: 2004-09-22 12:17:42
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Andreas Pflug wrote:
> First of all, this is certainly hackers stuff, please post on
> pgadmin-hackers!

Agreed. This is a repost/rewrite of the patch I have posted to the
pgadmin-support list a few days ago.

Andreas Pflug wrote:
> - the default action might differ from user to user. For sure, an
> unconditional "View Data" on a table is a bad idea. I already hear
> those guys yelling double clicking on a 100 million row table...

This version of the patch tries to address those issues in the following
ways:

1. There is an additional checkbox in the Preferences tab of the Options
dialog, labeled "Show data instead of properties for tables and views",
placed as a subordinate of "Show object properties on double click" (I
have stripped the "in treeview" part, since double click should also
work in the Properties pane). The checkbox is disabled if its superior
is disabled.

2. In the same tab, a parameter labeled "Maximum rows in data view" is
introduced. It is used to limit the number of rows retrieved when
constructing the data view/edit grid if greater than zero. The default
value is set to 500, although it could be set to 0 (unlimited) to keep
the behavior prior to its introduction.

The patch also arranges reading and writing of the new parameters from
and to the configuration file.

The patch is against the beta1 source tree; I could re-sync it to the
latest snapshot if needed.

i.

pgadmin-hackers by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2004-09-23 07:26:46
Subject: Re: Compilation on Windows