Re: Tryint to match Solaris-Oracle performance with directio?

From: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: ischamay(dot)andbergsay(at)activestateway(dot)com
Subject: Re: Tryint to match Solaris-Oracle performance with directio?
Date: 2004-09-17 23:42:25
Lists: pgsql-performance

Mischa Sandberg wrote:
> In the meantime, what I gather from browsing mail archives is that
> postgresql on Solaris seems to get hung up on IO rather than CPU.
> Furthermore, I notice that Oracle and now MySQL use directio to bypass
> the system cache, when doing heavy writes to the disk; and Postgresql
> does not.
>
> Not wishing to alter backend/store/file for this test, I figured I could
> get a customer to mount the UFS volume for pg_xlog with the option
> "forcedirectio".
>
> Any comment on this? No consideration of what the wal_sync_method is at
> this point. Presumably it's defaulting to fdatasync on Solaris.
>
> BTW this is Postgres 7.4.1, and our customers are Solaris 8 and 9.

If you care your data upgrade to more recent 7.4.5

Test your better sync method using /src/tools/fsync however do some
experiment changing the sync method, you can also avoid to update the
acces time for the inodes mounting the partition with noatime option
( this however have more impact on performance for read activities )

Regards
Gaetano Mendola