Re: Article about PostgreSQL and RAID in Brazil

From: Daniel Ceregatti <daniel(at)omnis(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: ricardo(at)sqlmagazine(dot)com(dot)br
Subject: Re: Article about PostgreSQL and RAID in Brazil
Date: 2004-09-16 18:10:13
Lists: pgsql-performance
>The first part of the article can be found in
>http://www.sqlmagazine.com.br/colunistas.asp?artigo=Colunistas/RicardoRezende/06_Raid_P1.asp

The site seems to be down. I was looking forward to reading it. :(

>The first and most important step for RAID performance with PostgreSQL is to
>get a card with onboard battery back-up and enable the write cache for the
>card.   You do not want to enable the write cache *without* battery back-up
>because of the risk of data corruption after a power failure.

Here is a small example of the performance difference with write cache:

http://sh.nu/bonnie.txt

--

Daniel Ceregatti - Programmer
Omnis Network, LLC

A little suffering is good for the soul.
		-- Kirk, "The Corbomite Maneuver", stardate 1514.0