Re: Netezza: 27TB of PostgreSQL

From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>,Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>,pgsql-advocacy(at)PostgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Netezza: 27TB of PostgreSQL
Date: 2004-09-13 19:33:12
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Robert Treat wrote:

>>>Anyone has this pdf? I need it, but could not find it in my hard drive ,
>>>and also in web site of netezza.
>>
>>HTML version from google's cache:
>>
>>http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:Fr_E4Ohu6BIJ:www.netezza.com/news/medi
>>a/META-Spectrum-Netezza.pdf+META-Spectrum-Netezza.pdf&hl=en&start=1
>>

> Heres a copy of the original.
> http://www.netezza.com/analystReports/2004/META-Spectrum-Netezza.pdf
>
> Actually what I thought was also good was
> http://www.netezza.com/media/2004/InformationWeek_021604.pdf
> which highlights a medical groups transition from IBM's Red Brick database to
> Netezza's PostgreSQL based solution for a 1.5 TB data warehouse.  It mentions
> that they initially hit a scaleability wall, and then upon switching noticed
> that query times had improoved over thier old solution.

Folks,

Please use this information carefully - recent versions of Netezza don't
have much to do with PostgreSQL anymore.
Their original product was BASED on PostgreSQL which does not
necessarily mean that it IS PostgreSQL.
In addition to that they seem to have changed a huge part of the storage
system in order to reduce space consumption (recall, there is not that
much need for concurrency in a warehouse).

	Regards,

		Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria