Re: new to Unixodbc: can't connect to Postgresql

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: lchan <lchan(at)mail(dot)arc(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
Cc: mombasa(at)ptolemy(dot)arc(dot)nasa(dot)gov, quit Nguyen <qnguyen(at)mail(dot)arc(dot)nasa(dot)gov>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: new to Unixodbc: can't connect to Postgresql
Date: 2004-09-08 07:22:06
Lists: pgsql-odbc

lchan wrote:
> Hi Richard,
> Thank you for responding to my plea for help.

No problem - please try to keep the mailing list cc'ed - there are
smarter people than me on it.

>> 1. Make sure you are logging connection attempts in postgresql.conf
>> and see if anything is happening there.
>
> I have double checked the postgresql.conf file. There's only a trace
> file produced, and it's a SQLERROR -2 (SQL_INVALID_HANDLE).

This is the odbc logs - we also want to look at the postgresql logs.
Their location is usually defined in your postgresql startup script.

> Pasted
> below is my postgres.conf file. I would be very grateful if you let me
> know, if
> you spot anything that's incorrect.

Where is postgresql logging to? Find out, then add the following lines
to your postgresql.conf:

log_connections=true
log_statement=true

Restart postgresql and this will then log every connection and every SQL
statement you send.

Connect using "psql -h localhost -U myuser mydatabase", you should be
asked for your password and get a prompt. Check the logs to make sure
the successful connection is logged.

Then try to connect via odbc and see what the postgresql logs say.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd