Re: Installation on Windows XP Home

From: Daniel Schuchardt <daniel_schuchardt(at)web(dot)de>
To: cadic(dot)christophe(at)wanadoo(dot)fr, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installation on Windows XP Home
Date: 2004-09-06 17:02:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
Christophe CADIC schrieb:

> Hello,
>
> In the current win32 release, it is necessary to create a specific
> user account to install database.
> On windows XP Home, it is not possible to create this type of account
> (Also Administrator or Limited User accounts are availables).

Hi Christophe,

that's not true.

here an example from my Setup (Created and tested on Windows XP-Home ,
working on all Windows >=2000):

ExecWait 'net user postgres $AdminPassw /Add'
WriteRegStr HKLM 'SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\Environment\' 'PGDATA' '$INSTDIRPG/postgres/db'
ExecWait '$INSTDIRPG\postgres\editrights -u postgres -a SeServiceLogonRight'
ExecWait '$INSTDIRPG\postgres\runasp /domain:%COMPUTERNAME%
/user:postgres /password:$AdminPassw
/command:"$INSTDIRPG\postgres\bin\initdb -D $INSTDIRPG/postgres/db -L
$INSTDIRPG/postgres/share --locale=C" /wait'

user add is windows - standard.
editrights is a cygwin exe. you only need to have this exe and
cygwin1.dll to run this exe
runasp is a commercial tool like runas that is able to handle user
passwords in a script (it will not prompt for a password like runas); i
don't like it but thats the only tool i found :-(

see also

http://www.hagander.net/pgsql/win32snap/

for details

Daniel