Re: Permissions problem with sequences

From: "Gary Doades" <gpd(at)gpdnet(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Permissions problem with sequences
Date: 2004-09-04 22:41:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 4 Sep 2004 at 18:18, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Gary Doades" <gpd(at)gpdnet(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> > I have a problem with permissions on sequences when restored to
> > another PC.
>
> This is not a dump/restore bug, because in fact you would have had the
> same behavior before dumping. You never granted permissions on the c1
> sequence to user1_test in the first place.

You're right as ever. I had inadvertantly created the user in the first
database as a superuser so the inserts worked OK.

I am used to the situation in SQL Server where the "identity" property
"belongs" to the table so no explicit permissions need to be granted on
this. I guess I was expecting the same behaviour from postgres.

Oh well, back to the schema defintion script....

Thanks,
Gary.