Re: from_collapse_limit vs. geqo_threshold

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: from_collapse_limit vs. geqo_threshold
Date: 2009-05-21 12:51:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Having just raised the statistics targets I wonder if we should look
at raising these two parameters too. The experience on the lists are
that when people run into either of these two limits we recommend
raising them and we've never seen anyone come back complaining that
their planning time goes through the roof.

To benchmark this like we did for the statistics target will be tricky
though. I suppose we can gather candidate queries by trolling the
lists for recommendations, though we didn't always get schemas to go
along with the queries.

--
greg