Re: Arbitrary precision arithmatic with pgsql

From: Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com>
To: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Arbitrary precision arithmatic with pgsql
Date: 2004-08-31 12:37:33
Lists: pgsql-sql

Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2004, at 8:55 PM, Rajesh Kumar Mallah wrote:
>
>> The docs says that numeric type supports numbers upto
>> any precision
>

> <snip />
>
>> However
>>
>> tradein_clients=# SELECT cast(2^100 as numeric);
>

> <snip />
>
>> 1. Does the specs not require pgsql to print a warning or info ,
>> will it not be considered silient truncation of data.
>

> AFAICS, the issue here is not the cast per se, but rather the power
> operation (2^100), which expects a double precision argument. This
> operation happens before the cast.

Looks like the power operation of numeric ie, numeric ^ numeric already
exists
but it returns a double precision and the accuracy is getting lost. Shud
numeric
^ numeric not be returning numeric instead?

Regds
mallah.

tradein_clients=# CREATE TABLE t_a as SELECT 1::numeric ^ 1::numeric
as col;
SELECT
tradein_clients=# \d t_a
Table "public.t_a"
+--------+------------------+-----------+
| Column | Type | Modifiers |
| col | double precision | |

--

regds
Mallah.

Rajesh Kumar Mallah
| Tradeindia.com (3,11,246) Registered Users |
| Indias' Leading B2B eMarketPlace |
| http://www.tradeindia.com/ |