Re: help on automatically running sql files

From: Gémes Géza <geza(at)kzsdabas(dot)sulinet(dot)hu>
To: "Pradeepkumar, Pyatalo (IE10)" <Pradeepkumar(dot)Pyatalo(at)honeywell(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)qwest(dot)net>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: help on automatically running sql files
Date: 2004-08-31 10:09:35
Lists: pgsql-admin
Pradeepkumar, Pyatalo (IE10) írta:

>On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 01:33, Pradeepkumar, Pyatalo (IE10) wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>For the project that I am working on , we are using Postgresql 7.4.3 on
>>Linux 7.2. We have all the database tables,triggers and stored procedures
>>

>as
>

>>seperate .sql files which we want to ship as part of our software. Now
>>

>when
>

>>the user installs our software, we need to check if postmaster service is
>>running or not and if it is running, then we have to run the sql files
>>automatically. Can anyone help me out on how to run the .sql files
>>automatically.
>>

>Something like psql dbname <sqlfile.sql will do.  If psql isn't in the
>path, then /path/to/psql dbname <sqlfile.sql
>

>Hi Scott,
>What we really require is, if we ship the .sql files as part of our software
>package, the user should not do anything. The software when it installs
>should automatically run the .sql files without the user intervention. We
>dont want the user to check for the .sql files and run the above command
>himself. We want to automate that in our software. Is that possible in
>postgresql. If yes, how to do it. If no, is there any alternative solution.
>I can think of one alternative that is to write a shell script.

Your software installs somehow. Posibilities:
-Via a shell/perl install script: append at the end of the script
- Via a graphical install programm: append at the end of the programs
main part as the last thing to do (easiest way (but less performant):
via an exec statement)
- Via rpm/deb/whatever else: In this case the packager usualy have a
postinstall part, where you can put this script, which checks for the
runing postgresql instance, and then run the required .sql  files

Regards,

Geza Gemes