Re: 8.0 Press Release, Draft Two

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: josh(at)bitbuckets(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.0 Press Release, Draft Two
Date: 2004-08-29 14:23:24
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On 8/27/2004 11:06 PM, josh(at)bitbuckets(dot)com wrote:

> Improved Memory and I/O usage:  With this release of PostgreSQL, the
> memory and disk I/O subsystems have been improved to use shared buffers
> more effectively.  With this improvement comes an increase in speed and
> performance.

Since you try to attach name tags to features, the ARC, bgwriter and
vacuum-delay work (if that's what you mean with the above) was also
sponsored by Afilias.

I have no evidence that it actually increases speed or performance, and
I would even say it reduces total throughput slightly. It makes the
responstimes more predictable and gives them a lower standard deviation,
  which is a quality very much appreciated by those who have service
level agreements saying ugly things like "98% of transactions must
finish in under 3 seconds" in a 24x7 environment.

Jan