Re: JNDI Datasource example

From: Harry Schittler <hs(at)multimedia-werkstatt(dot)com>
To: Mag Gam <mag0007(at)myfastmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JNDI Datasource example
Date: 2004-08-27 23:33:51
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Mag Gam wrote:

>Does anyone have a GOOD example of PostgreSQL with Tomcat using JNDI? I
>was looking at
>http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html
>but the code they provided really did not help. If someone has some code
>please post it. Thanks in advance!

Just case you were using the same approach as I did and used the tomcat
admin application to create the JNDI resource

Lets assume a datasource named "jdbc/testds" and a context named "testctx"

put your postgres jdbc driver into $TOMCAT/common/lib, restart Tomcat

Create the datasource using the tomcat admin application, use
org.postgresql.Driver as driverClass and
jdbc:postgresql://localhost/<database> as URL

insert the following in your applications WEB-INF/web.xml:
<resource-ref>
<description>DB Connection</description>
<res-ref-name>jdbc/testds</res-ref-name>
<res-auth>Container</res-auth>
</resource-ref>

Create a META-INF/context.xml and insert:
<Context path="/testctx" reloadable="true">
<ResourceLink name="jdbc/testds" global="jdbc/testds"
type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
</Context>

Use the following code to lookup the datasource:
try{
Context ctx = new InitialContext();
if(ctx == null )
throw new Exception("JNDI could not create InitalContext ");

Context envContext = (Context)ctx.lookup("java:/comp/env");
datasource = (DataSource)envContext.lookup(jndiName);

} catch(Exception e) {
e.printStackTrace();
}

this works for me...