Re: Alter field type?

From: Bjørn T Johansen <btj(at)havleik(dot)no>
To: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Alter field type?
Date: 2004-08-26 09:49:09
Lists: pgsql-general

That looks like a recipe, thx... :)

BTJ

Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Do, den 26.08.2004 schrieb Bjørn T Johansen um 9:48:
>
>>Is it possible to alter field type (from varchar to text) without making
>>a new table?
>

> In 8.0 I think.
> Common practice in 7.4.x is:
>
> BEGIN work;
> ALTER TABLE yourtable ADD COLUMN tempcolumn text;
> UPDATE yourtable SET tempcolumn = origcolumn;
> ALTER TABLE yourtable DROP COLUMN origcolumn;
> ALTER TABLE yourtable RENAME tempcolumn TO origcolumn;
> COMMIT work;
>
> Since text and (unlimited) varchar are quite the same,
> you could get away with modifying the system tables.
> But I would not recomment to do so.
>
> Regards
> Tino Wildenhain

Bjørn T Johansen (BSc,MNIF)
Executive Manager
btj(at)havleik(dot)no Havleik Consulting
Phone : +47 21 69 15 20 Bjørnebærstien 57
Fax : +47 41 13 09 15 N-1348 Rykkinn
Cellular : +47 926 93 298 http://www.havleik.no
Someone wrote:
"I understand that if you play a Windows CD backwards you hear strange
Satanic messages"
To which someone replied: