7.3.4 Table corruption

From: Andrew Farmer <mail(at)andrewfarmer(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 7.3.4 Table corruption
Date: 2004-08-25 01:41:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

I'm running a 7.3.4 on a RedHat 7.2 i686 box. I take daily backups of
my application's database, and last week it failed on one of the
tables. After some checking I found that the rest of the data was ok,
just a large number of tuples on one table were corrupt. I'm pretty sure
it's table corruption, as a REINDEX does not solve the problem, and I
can't COPY data from the table.

I have backups I can use, but I only want to restore this one table,
which would not normally be a big problem, as I can just pull the
relevant commands out of the dump file. But there are a lot of
connections through rules and references from the broken table to other
tables, so I can't simply truncate this table and reload it, I would
have to reload a large number of other tables as well. Something I
don't really want to do, as I could potentially lose more data.

My question is, if I load the good dump into a clean database, and then
find the underlying file that represents the broken table and copy it
over the top of the broken table, am I likely to face any big problems?

Thanks
Andrew