Re: pg_dump in stand alone backend

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Ulrich Wisser <ulrich(dot)wisser(at)relevanttraffic(dot)se>
Cc: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>,pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump in stand alone backend
Date: 2004-08-24 10:04:48
Lists: pgsql-general
Ulrich Wisser wrote:

>> Explain what exactly you are trying to do, why do you have to stop
>> the postmaster ? If you request is due only to forbid the access then
>> you can replace the pg_hba.conf with a "void" one and replace it again
>> at the end of operations.
[snip]
> I need to to disconnect any other users and do "vacuum full verbose
> analyze" "reindex database" and reindex all tables. And for these I will
> stop the postmaster and run a stand alone backend.
>
> I figured that doing a nightly backup would be a good idea and running
> it in stand alone mode will speed up the process drastically.

Don't think it makes much difference, assuming you're the only one
connected. I'd follow Gaetano's idea and have separate
postgresql.conf/pg_hba.conf files.
  1. stop PG
  2. swap conf files
  3. start PG
  4. maintenance
  5. stop PG
  6. swap conf files back
  7. start PG

A separate postgresql.conf lets you have different sort_mem values etc.
for your nightly maintenance too.
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd