Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions

From: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions
Date: 2004-08-23 18:48:14
Lists: pgsql-general
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> As Tom (I believe) has stated, and both Bruce/I have said over and over
> again ... this is nothing stop'ng a group of ppl starting up a "bundled
> postgresql" project, and dedicating their time and effort into building
> something up ...
>
> As Peter has stated, he had thought of this in the past, and felt it was
> easier/better for the various OS distributions to do it on their own ...

This argument fail given the absence of a tool that avoid to do a
dump-initdb-restore cicle. My example ( I think that I'm the average
user case ): we have a RH AS 2.1 installation, we are sticky to this
release ( a RH AS 3.0 is not yet supported by the Hardaware provider ) and
RH doesn't provide the RPM for 7.4, the RH postgres version for that
distribution is still the 7.2 IIRC.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola