Re: Installing PostgreSQL in a Linux Environment

From: Arthur van Dorp <arthur_vd(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Eyinagho Newton <neyinagho(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installing PostgreSQL in a Linux Environment
Date: 2004-08-23 11:01:55
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi
> Thanks so much for response and help on my cry for
> help. I've tried the 'ps -a' you asked me to try and
> the result it gave was as follows:
>
> PID TTY TIME CMD
> ------------------------------
> 1070 pts/1 00:00:00 su
> 1071 pts/1 00:00:00 bash
> 1076 pts/1 00:00:00 ps

'ps -a ' isn't worth much, it only gives the processes of the current
terminal you're working on.

> In addition to that, i also tried to use the caps form
> of the command, ie 'PS -A' and what i got was as
> follows:
>
> bash: PS: command not found

It's 'ps -A' not 'PS -A'. ;) This should give you _all_ processes
(depending a bit on your version of ps, but most of those shipped with
current distros are like that. Else have a look at 'man ps').

> When i tried another form of the command, ie 'ps -A' ,
> i got a series of numbers just like the first result
> above. The numbers started from 1, 2, 3, etc up until
> the last set 1070, 1071, and 1076. They were also
> listed under PID, TTY, TIME,and CMD.
>
> What does this indicate? Its interesting to note that
> postgreSQL wasn't in any of the various words listed
> under CMD. I only found words like init, keventd,
> kapad, etc.

The process PostgreSQL runs under is called 'postmaster'. Have a look
for that. You could also try 'ps -A|grep postmaster' which filters out
only the lines with 'postmaster' in it.

> As to your question of whether this file
> /etc/init.d/postgresql.checkproc exists, i found that
> it doesn't. Whilst i could navigate to the directory
> 'etc' using cd /etc, i could not do same for init.d
> although it was one of the files listed under 'etc'
> when you do an 'ls' command.

Uhm, if you type 'cd /etc/init.d/' without the '.d' or anything missing,
this should definitely work.

As your problems are more related to linux than to PostgreSQL I'd
recommend you to subscribe to a linux mailing list fitting the
distribution you're using.

Arthur

P.S: Try to keep your messages free from superfluous empty lines.