pg_dump/pg_restore question

From: Worik <worik(at)noggon(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_dump/pg_restore question
Date: 2004-08-23 02:59:19
Lists: pgsql-sql

I am new to this list, and this is my first message.

I hope this is the correct forum, and the question not too stupid/simple.

I have a database on a debian stable system...

dpkg -l postgresql
ii  postgresql     7.2.1-2woody5  Object-relational SQL database,
descended fr

When I dump a database (as from the man page for pg_restore)
pg_dump mydb > mydb.out

OK.  Get an SQL dump in mydb.out

Create a new database....

creatdb myotherdb

Load the dump....

psql -d myotherdb -f mydb.out
psql:mydb.out:4: \connect: FATAL 1:  IDENT authentication failed for
user "postgres"

I have tried adding the line
host       all    trust

to pg_hba.conf but it makes no difference.

The only thing I can do is edit the dump file into the part that wants
to connect as postgres and the part that wants to connect as worik and
run them under their respective logins.

How can I set it up so I do not have to do that?

What documentation should I be reading?

pgsql-sql by date

Next:From: Greg StarkDate: 2004-08-23 03:52:01