Re: tablespace and sequences?

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tablespace and sequences?
Date: 2004-08-18 01:33:53
Lists: pgsql-cygwin pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

> IMVHO, I think the following todo item should make it for 8.0:
>
> Allow database recovery where tablespaces can't be created
>
> When a pg_dump is restored, all tablespaces will attempt to be
> created in their original locations. If this fails, the user must
> be able to adjust the restore process.
>
> Indeed, if someone step to 8.0, make some use of tablespace, and connot
> move its databases because of this issue, I guess she will not going to be
> happy at all... I guess something like "--ignore-tablespace" at the
> restoration phase would be good. At the dump phase it would be a minimum.

How is that at all a problem? It's no different to the requirement to
have installed all your contrib .so's before running your restore,
what's so hard about making a few dirs? It's also no different to the
old database locations support. Personally, I think it's a non-issue.

It's also impossible to do as you suggest and have a --ignore-tablespace
flag. All it could do is at dump time to dump NO tablespace, which is
NOT what you want. At restore time it doesn't do anything since
pg_dumpall is a text format only.

Chris