Re: PostgreSQL future ideas

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: Gevik Babakhani <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, "'PGSQL Hackers'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL future ideas
Date: 2008-09-25 12:14:46
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM> writes:
> Gevik Babakhani napsal(a):
>> I have not investigated this yet. But I am very interested to know what the
>> advantages would be to "upgrade" the code to C99 standards.

> I think replace macros with inline functions. It brings to ability to
> monitor them for example by DTrace.

C99's definition of inline functions really sucks --- it's awkward to
use, and essentially doesn't work at all for declaring inlines in header
files, which would be the main use if we wanted to replace macros with
inlines. I'm much happier using gcc's version of inline where we really
need it (which is not that many places anyway).