Re: pgadmin III - database backup / restore

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: paul(dot)n(dot)shortis(at)mainroads(dot)qld(dot)gov(dot)au
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgadmin III - database backup / restore
Date: 2004-08-16 10:53:01
Lists: pgadmin-support
paul(dot)n(dot)shortis(at)mainroads(dot)qld(dot)gov(dot)au wrote:

> I'm investigating the use of Postgres for a future project & have installed
> beta 8.0 using the windows installer which includes pgadmin III. Everything
> works great, I can create tables etc. Connect from external applications...
> but, no matter what I do the Backup and Restore options on the pgadmin
> Tools menu remain disabled (irrespective of selected node in the tree). I
> can't find any mention of this feature in the online help or on mailing
> lists etc.
>
> Can anyone enlighten me ??

Backup/restore gui is the newest feature in pgAdmin3; please use the
very latest snapshot (2004-08-15) from www.pgadmin.org. Doc has to be
written.

You have to select which object you'd like to backup. You can backup a
database, a schema or a table.

You have to select a database or table to restore. After selecting the
backup file, you can examine it for contents ("view"). If you launched
"restore database", you also can select a single object to restore from
the contents.

If backup/restore remains disabled when selecting a database, the tools
pg_dump/pg_restore are not accessible (path or directory where
pgadmin3.exe lives). pgadmin3.zip includes them.

Regards,
Andreas