Re: pgAdmin can't connect to port 5432

From: Justin Clift <jc(at)telstra(dot)net>
To: Michael J Martin <mike(at)mike-martin(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin can't connect to port 5432
Date: 2004-08-16 00:24:11
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi Michael,

In the PostgreSQL data directory on the server, there is a file called
"pg_hba.conf". (It stands for PostgreSQL "Host Based Access"
configuration I think)

This file contains the list of IP addresses plus user names and
databases that people are allowed to connect to remotely. The error
you're getting indicates that you've connected to the database server,
but it's not letting you actually "get in" because your IP address, user
name (and so on) isn't listed in this configuration file.

You'll need to add your details there, then tell the PostgreSQL server
to reload this configuration file:

$ pg_ctl reload

The configuration file itself is quite a lot of verbose text, describing
how to add entries in there. Generally you can just copy an existing
entry and change it appropriately.

Hope that helps.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift