Re: Replication: Slony-I vs. Mammoth Replicator vs. ?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Replication: Slony-I vs. Mammoth Replicator vs. ?
Date: 2004-08-15 00:55:05
Lists: pgsql-performance

Christopher Browne wrote:

>Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com ("Joshua D. Drake") would write:
>

>>I hope you understand that I, in no way have ever suggested
>>(purposely) anything negative about Slony. Only that I believe they
>>serve different technical solutions.
>>

>Stipulating that I may have some bias ;-), I still don't find it at
>all clear what the different situations are "shaped like" that lead to
>Mammoth being forcibly preferable to Slony-I.

I would choose replicator if:

1. You want ease of setup
2. You want your each transaction to be replicated at time of commit
3. Your database is already laden with triggers
4. You are pushing a very high transactional load*

* Caveat I have no idea how well Slony performs on a system that does
say 200,000 transactions
an hours that are heavily geared toward updates. Replicator performs
very well in this scenario.

5. Replicators administrative tools are more mature than Slony (for
example you know exactly what state your slaves are in with Replicator).

I would choose Slony if:

1. The fact that it is Open Source matters to you
2. The auto promotion of slaves is important*

*This will be fixed in a couple of weeks with Replicator

To be fair, in the real world ---

It doesn't make a bit of difference which one you choose it really comes
down to this:

Replicator is dumb simple to setup. Any halfway talented person can
setup replicator
in 30 minutes with a single master / slave configuration.

Slony is Open Source and thus a little easier on the pocket book initially.

Command Prompt, will support either one -- so the Replicator is
commercially supported
argument is a little weak here.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake