Re: PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions
Date: 2004-08-14 23:39:44
Lists: pgsql-novice

operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com schrieb:

> I'm going back to try and install and run PGSQL 7.4.3 on WinXP Home
> using CYGWIN.

Do as youi please but you are adding a whole lot of complexity with cygwin.
I tried the version 8 beta's msi-instaler and it worked faultlessly.

[...]

> When I do all the above (including everyithing in Carlo's tutorial):
> initdb -D /var/postgresql/data
> works just fine.

Fine. Your server is installed and ready to be started as local database.
It will reject connects from LAN clients.

> <>However, when I type in the three lines of code
>
> cygrunsrv --install postmaster ... --shutdown

Those 3 lines are actually just one! The \ at the end of line 1+2
glues them together.

> <>in his tutorial I get the following error:
> cygrunsrv: Error installing a service: OpenService: win32 error 1073:
> The specified service exists already.

You tried more than once and threrfore there exist a service entry in
windows already.
Though I wonder why you install a service at all, since you said in an
earlier mail you'd don't wan't that.

> <>
> cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: StartService: Win32 error 1069:
> The service did not start due to logon failure

This seems to be a Windows error.
Maybe the user postgres isn't allowed to start services, yet ?
There is some windows management thingy that does that. You can't do it
from within CygWin.
There is a readme coming with cygwin
----> /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/postgres...

While using postgresql on windows you'll run into a number of
opportunities where you want to bang you head against the wall because
the stupid thing won't come up. Usually it's some kind of access right
issue. Some process wants to do something to a file where it isn't
allowed to go or ast least can't write.
Make sure there is no stale files left from earlier sessions when your
computer crashed.
/var/log/postmaster*
most importantly:
/var/postgresql/data/postmaster.pid or however the name of the
pid-file there is.

> Also, if I'm using cygserver, do i need to install cygipc, too?

The lastest CygWin has it's own IPC magic and AFAIK you'll run into
interferences if you have the cygipc service running.
I still got a rather old version of CygWin and PostgreSQL so I can't say
for sure.