Re: PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions
Date: 2004-08-14 12:06:11
Lists: pgsql-novice
operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com schrieb:

> I didn't want to install it as a service since I do lots of things on
> my laptop besides database development.  I want to manually start and
> stop the program.

I know only the cygwin way, yet, but this doesn't matter.
Even a service can be manually started, if you define it as "manual"
instead of "automatic" in the service-dialoge of Windows.

Set postmaster to "manual" and start it afterwards in a cmd-window with
NET START postmaster
use
NET STOP postmaster
to ... well ... stop it   ;)

I guess postmaster wouldn't be peed off even if you let it run into
system shutdown since Windows will stop running services automatically.