Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Dan Langille <dan(at)langille(dot)org>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date: 2004-08-14 01:53:10
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
>>However, I also believe that Mammoth Replicator would deserve equal
>>mention, especially since Mammoth Replicator is more mature and they
>>really are different products that serve a similar but not identical
>>purpose.
>

> So even though Slony is free and open source and Mammoth Replicator is
> proprietary, you think we should give them equal mention?

Yes. It is based on best tool for the job, not OSS versus non OSS.

> By that logic, if Powergres was based on 8.0 code, we would mention that
> along with the Win32 port mention?  That doesn't make sense to me.

Yep. See above.

> (Powergres is threaded so it would have some distinction compared to our
> community Win32 implementation.)  ]

Yes, and if it was based on 8.0 code -- I would probably promote it over
our implementation because it is threaded and in theory would perform
better than our implementation. Obviously I would test and confirm.

> Again, you make no distinction between propriety and free software, even
> though our community is about free software, and not proprietary
> software.  That seem like a disconnect to me.

Who says the community is all about free software? I don't know any
GPLites in the community (o.k. I know a few, but they are the minority).
I thought BSD was all about the best tool for the job?

I use what tool works best for me and my customers. I started using
PostgreSQL because it was better than MySQL (and still is). I started
using Linux because I need a good OS for creating an ISP.

I also use Xig which is closed source, because the X community doesn't
come close to providing a competitive solution.

I am about the overall promotion of PostgreSQL, which is why I am part
of the advocacy group. Would I have a problem promoting a company if
that company took PostgreSQL, closed sourced it, and never gave anything
back? Absolutely that falls under ethics.

Do I have a problem promoting SRA as a community member? Not in the least.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake