Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Robby Russell <robby(at)planetargon(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date: 2004-08-14 01:36:08
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
> There are MANY companies (too
> many to list...and the techdocs site hardly covers them all) but if
> giving props to companies that provide support to the community in IRC,

Actually no, you can list them on less than two hands. There are MANY
companies yes, but there are only a few that contribute at the level
that I am talking about.

SRA - Bruce/Tatsuo - Core and MultiByte

Fujitsu - TableSpaces and a programmer sponsor

RedHat - Tom Lane - Enough said.

Afilias - Jan, Andrew (and one other I don't recall)

Command Prompt - MySelf (Editor N Chief), Sergey and all the code we
have already hashed over

HUB/PGSQL - Marc -- bandwidth, server resources

Agliodbs - JoshB -- Advocacy and Core

If I missed a company I apologize.

> mailing lists, etc... the press release would just be a bunch of names
> of companies and individuals. So, I don't see where those points were
> going.

And no it wouldn't. I brief blurb, three sentences at the end of a major
release PR. -- Thanks to: <small list>

> I don't see a problem mentioning commercial companies that generate code
> to the community project. That makes perfect sense. If an entity
> (corporation) or an individual they should get the same type of
> appreciation.
>
> However, if an individual builds plugin xyz and keeps it for themselves
> (proprietary), I don't see where the obligation of the community is to
> mention such plugin in their press release. (but mentioning the
> individuals/entities that donated code to the community project should
> be mentioned for obvious reasons).

Then we are obviously not as opposed you we possibly seemed.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake